What Methods do you use?
We use a combination of methods to support you and address the symptoms and issues that you are dealing with. In consultations we apply the different methods to build your own set of skills manage your own experience by giving full attention to how the symptoms developed, what makes them worse and help you to reduce and where possible resolve your symptoms. You can find a summary of our methods here.
How can working with The Helpful Clinic, who are not doctors, help me with my health?
As a health and wellbeing practitioner we use a model of Biology, Psychology and Social context to look at the whole of your experience. Your practitioner uses talking therapy methods to help you understand your experience and your symptoms. Your doctor has only a limited time to support you and is not trained in talking therapies to delve into this level of detail and support you in this practical way.
We always offer to work collaboratively with doctors, consultants and any other practitioners that are supporting you and your health. If you are under the care of a consultant or other health professionals we offer to stay in contact with them, free of charge to you, to ensure an integrated approach.
What benefits or improvements can I expect to my health as a result of working with THC?
Patients report various benefits and improvements. Here is a list of what you can expect:
• Being more in control of their health and their symptoms.
• Understanding how to manage symptoms more effectively and reduce the impact symptoms have on their life and often to fully resolve symptoms.
• Being able to influence what happens to them and around them.
• Becoming more able to sit with their problems and work through them.
• Feeling more able to understand and deal with their emotions such as sadness, overwhelm and distress.
• Learning to challenge beliefs, work with beliefs that don’t help and build more helpful beliefs.
• Becoming more confident and self assured.
• Learning how to deal more effectively with health professionals, employers and others that are involved with their health.
• Understanding how to harness the feeling of Hope to galvanise what actions are helpful.
• Learning about boundaries and how to set them.
• Understanding what’s been driving feelings and behaviours and shift to what’s more helpful.
How much does it cost? Can I pay in instalments?
The pricing document shows the cost of health support and what options are available for instalments and funding if needed. You can also email us with any questions you have. Please contact us if you have further questions.
How will I know if it’s right for me?
Have a look at the information on the website about our approach, our methods, case studies and have a look at what other patients have said.
Request an information pack. Here you will find more detailed information about how we work and what you can expect.
Book a Discovery Call. You can have up to three 20 minute Discovery Calls. This will give you the opportunity to talk to us about any questions and concerns you have and get a sense of how the experience of working with us is likely to suit you.
If we feel that the way we work is unlikely to be helpful to you, we will always say so and give you suggestions as to what may be more helpful to you.
We always work to support you in the way that is most practical for you. If you need to have consultations at work, we can accommodate that as all consultations take place by Skype or telephone. If you need to have shorter consultations because of the severity of your symptoms, we will tailor the support to take that into account.
Everything I have tried in the past hasn’t worked – what’s to say this will be any different?
We often find that people have tried various things to help them without success. There tend to be a few specific reasons for that. Here is a list if a few:
• Interventions have been focused on one area of your health and not looking at your health with our 3D approach. This can be like rowing a boat with one oar, it’s a lot of work and sometimes even in the right direction but without the other aspects being included you are making limited progress.
• The intervention that you have already tried is helpful but at a later stage of your recovery and so you haven’t experienced the benefit of it. With complex conditions it matters what order things are done in. We will help you understand what stage you are at and how to build up your recovery step by step, stage by stage until you reach a more manageable experience, and where possible a full recovery.
• Some health interventions are effective for conditions that affect only one of your systems and therefore not suitable for multi-systemic conditions. Our understanding of how these types of symptoms sit across different systems is vital to assess what’s likely to be helpful and what’s not.
Can I have more Consultations if I need during the 9 month Journey period?
Yes, you can add as many consultations as you need. Each additional consultation is charged at £90 an hour. It is not uncommon for patients to go beyond the 9 month period. We will help you with understanding what’s likely to affect your journey time.
Do I have to have one the conditions or symptoms that you list on your website to work with you?
No, this is not an exhaustive list. The first step is to request a call and we will assess with you whether we feel we can help. If we feel that your symptoms are outside of our expertise, we will give you some advice in terms of where to go.
My employer wants to be supportive but doesn’t understand my condition, can you help?
Yes, we are often asked to liaise with e.g. employers and universities to support you to stay or get back into work or university. We will make all recommendation in collaboration with you and you will be included in all correspondence and communication.